Cathedral Church of St. Paul, Fond du Lac
2-6pm, Saturday, August 24th, 2013
of the Holy
Feast Day | Biography | Circus Photo | Images | Links
Commemoration and Feast Day
The Commemoration of Blessed Charles Chapman Grafton, an observed Feast Day of the Diocese of Fond du Lac, is included in "Holy Men, Holy Women" by the Standing Committee on Liturgy and Music of the Episcopal Church. The Feast Day is August 30th, although the Commemoration may be translated to another day. The 2013 Commemoration will be held Saturday, August 24th at the Cathedral of St. Paul the Apostle, Fond du Lac.
- 2:00pm ~ Lecture on Bishop Grafton
by the Rt. Rev. William Franklin, 11th Bishop of the Diocese of Western New York.
- 3:30pm ~ Evening Prayer.
- 4:00pm ~ Solemn Pontifical Mass.
- 5:00pm ~ “Old Fashioned Garden Party” in the Cathedral Close.
Grafton was from a culture of Victorian Garden parties so there will be tea and coffee, bread and butter, biscuits, cake, sandwiches, fruit, lemonade, and ice cream. Perhaps even a harpist.
The 2012 Commemoration was held on Saturday, August 25th with the address "Grafton and the Confraternity of the Blessed Sacrament" presented by Mr. Richard J. Mammana, Jr., of New Haven, Connecticut, Founder and Director of Project Canterbury.
The 2011 Commemoration was held Saturday, August 27th with the address "Grafton and the Religious Life" presented by the Rev. John D. Alexander, Rector, Ss.
Stephen’s, Providence, Rhode Island.
Return to Top
The Rt. Rev. Charles Chapman Grafton (April 12, 1830-August 30, 1912) was Second Bishop of Fond du Lac, the Episcopal church encompassing the northeastern part of Wisconsin. He was an ardent supporter of the Oxford Movement which developed Anglo-Catholicism in the Episcopal Church.
He was born in Boston where he came under the influence of William Croswell, founder of Church of the Advent, a leading Anglo-catholic parish. In 1853 he graduated from Harvard with a degree in law but found himself drawn toward the ordained ministry. Grafton studied theology under Bishop William Whittingham of Maryland and was ordained deacon on Dec. 23, 1855. He began his ordained ministry as assistant at Reisterstown, Maryland and on May 30, 1858, he was ordained priest and served as curate at St. Paul's Church, Baltimore, and chaplain of the deaconesses of the Diocese of Maryland.
At the close of the Civil War he went to England and with Richard Meux Benson and Simeon Wilberforce O'Neill he co-founded the Society of St. John the Evangelist, also known as the Cowley Fathers. Grafton returned to the United States, and in 1872 became fourth Rector of Church of the Advent. A jurisdictional dispute concerning Grafton's overseas religious superior led to his withdrawal from SSJE.
Bishop Grafton also helped establish the American Congregation of Saint Benedict (now known as The Benedictine Order of St John the Beloved) and in 1888 he was a founder of the Sisterhood of the Holy Nativity, along with Mother Ruth Margaret. On Apr. 25, 1889, Grafton was consecrated Bishop of Fond du Lac, where he served until his death and left behind a legacy of printed works, sermons and essays.
Return to Top
Consecration of the
Rt. Rev. R. H. Weller as the Bishop Coadjutor of the Diocese of Fond du Lac, 1900
Seated (l to r): The Rt. Rev. Isaac Lea Nicholson, Episcopal Bishop of Milwaukee; the Rt. Rev. Charles Chapman Grafton, Episcopal Bishop of Fond du Lac; and the Rt. Rev. Charles P. Anderson, Episcopal Bishop Coadjutor of Chicago.
Standing (l to r) are: the Rt. Rev. Anthony Kozlowski of the Polish National Catholic Church ; the Rt. Rev. G. M. Williams, Episcopal Bishop of Marquette (now Northern Michigan); Bishop Reginald Weller, the Rt. Rev. Joseph M. Francis, Episcopal Bishop of Indianapolis, the Rt. Rev. William E. McLaren, Episcopal Bishop of Chicago; the Rt. Rev. Arthur L. Williams, Episcopal Bishop Coadjutor of Nebraska; St. John (Kochurov) of Chicago, protomartyr of the Bolshevik Revolution, Fr. Sebastian Dabovich, chaplains to the Russian Bishop--St. Tikhon, then Orthodox Bishop of Alaska and the Aleutian Islands.
The Famous 'Circus' Photo
In 1900, Bishop Grafton found himself at the center of controversy when he presided at the consecration of R.H. Weller as Bishop Coadjutor of Fond du Lac. A number of bishops from neighboring dioceses took part in the service. Also in attendance, at Grafton’s invitation, was Tikhon, the Russian Orthodox Bishop of Alaska and the Aleutian Islands. After the service, the bishops went outside to pose for a picture. For the first time ever, bishops of the Episcopal Church were photographed wearing copes and mitres. The picture, which became known as "the Fond du Lac Circus," and was widely published in church publications and became a heated controversy.
There were a number of controversies associated with this photo. First, the Episcopal Church had always had high, low, and broad factions that emphasized different aspects of the faith. The low church faction typically identifiea itself as Protestant. Contrast this with the high church faction which has identified itself with other "catholic" churches, such as the Roman, Old Catholic and Orthodox Churches. This photo was the first public photo, showing Episcopal bishops dressed in catholic vestments (as opposed to the more Protestant rochet, chimere, and tippet) and was an outrage to low church members of the Episcopal Church.
Bishop Grafton had invited St. Tikhon and his Orthodox entourage and Bishop Kozlowski of the Polish National Catholic Church to come to the service, not merely to observe, but to participate. Ultimately, they did not, but they did vest and sit with the other bishops present. Even this was scandalous to the low church members of the Episcopal Church who held that Episcopalians had more in common with the other Protestant denominations than with the Old Catholics or "Greek Catholics" (i.e., Orthodox).
Return to Top
Images (click for larger image)
Return to Top
- Feast Day in Holy Men, Holy Women.
- "Grafton and the Religious Life" by the Rev. John D. Alexander, Rector, St.
Stephens, Providence, Rhode Island. A paper presented during the Commemoration of Blessed Charles Chapman Grafton (tr.), 27 August 2011 at the Cathedral of St. Paul, Fond du Lac, Wisconsin.
- "Blessed Charles Chapman Grafton ~ 1830-1912" by the Rev. John-Julian, OJN.
A paper presented during the Commemoration of Blessed Charles Chapman Grafton (tr.), 29 August 2009 at the Cathedral of St. Paul the Apostle, Fond du Lac, Wisconsin.
- "A Homily On the Commemoration of
Blessed Charles C. Grafton"
by the Rev. Dean A. Einerson, Rector, St. Augustine's, Rhinelander, during the Commemoration of Blessed Charles Chapman Grafton at the
Cathedral Church of St. Paul the Apostle,
Fond du Lac, Wisconsin, August 30, 2005.
- "An Anglican Understanding of the Theology and Practice of Sanctification in the Thought of Charles Chapman Grafton, Second Bishop of Fond du Lac." by John Bernard Pahls, Jr.,
S.T.M. Thesis, Nashotah House Theological Seminary, 2005.
- "Nashotah House, Bishop Grafton, and Saint Tikhon of Moscow
Address" by the Very Reverend Chad [M. Richard] Hatfield,
Then Dean of Salina, Kansas; now Academic Dean of St. Herman’s Theological Seminary, Kodiak Island, Alaska,
The Sesquicentennial Convocation, Nashotah House Saturday, 7 November 1992.
- Bishop Grafton, Commemorative volume by Reginald H. Weller, James O. S. Huntington OHC, William Walter Webb,
William Harman van Allen, George McClellan Fiske, Erving Winslow, [Fond du Lac:] no publisher, c. 1913.
- More documents can be found through archive.org
- More documents can be found through Project Canterbury
- More documents can be found through a Google Search
Return to Top